Monday, August 28, 2006

Monday, Aug 28 - Election Day

Today is election day here in Guyana. There has been lots of talk and rumblings that bad things may happen in the next few days, riots and such, but we are quite safe here in the hinterlands. Some of the other volunteers left their sites near Georgetown to go back to Bartica until Thursday when all of the election stuff has blown over. I think it will end up being a lot of hype and only some minor things will happen but who knows the next few days could be interesting

The Annai girls (Heather and Jessica) came down to stay with us on Wednesday and only left this morning. They came to escape the solitude of their site and we had planned to go to Brazil this weekend. The trip never happened because they forgot their yellow fever immunization card, which is just as well because I think we all just needed a few days to kick back and get some rest.

I am beginning to be able to picture myself living here for a year now. It still hasn't settled in fully, and I don't really expect it to until school gets under way, but I really positive about my site, the town, and the people. The only issue we have really run into over the last few days is that I think a lot of the places we go for groceries are charging us a white person tax. When we tried to buy some bikes the guy looked at us then proceeded to tell us that the bikes we wanted were twice the price of what we had been told to expect. Heather and Jess also went to buy milk the other day and were told it was 220 even though it was clearly marked as 200 right on the carton. I hope that as people get to know us, through school and just being in town, this tax will go away.

I made a fire last night, carved some sticks and cooked some shish-kabobs over the coals last night. It was damn good if I do say so myself. We actually have a pretty good selection of food here but any one thing is pretty contingent on the shipments that have come in so I am learning to be flexible and creative when it comes time for dinner. I think cooking may be one of my biggest hobbies down here so expect me to be a master of the curries and king of roti when i get back next year.

Hopefully I will get some pictures up of our house, the school and town soon for everyone to see, so look out for those.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really excited to see what it looks like where you are living. I should have some pictures of our new apartment up soon too-- I am finally getting around to decorating.

Do you think once you are established as a teacher there that you will gain more respect from the people in your town?

2:48 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sean...SHUT UP!

12:03 p.m.  
Blogger sean said...

Hey Laura... Go to Hell

2:18 p.m.  
Blogger sean said...

I hope once I am a teacher I will have a little more pull, ya

2:19 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sean!

Go HERE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0fuJlcpbRY

5:40 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bart

5:41 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am glad to see that you are still using your fabulous bbq skills down there.

ps your pictures look amazing

8:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home