Friday, March 23, 2007

Shumberg Peak


School is boring and there hasn't been classes for weeks... lets not talk about it.

The project trust girls, Royston (a student, and our guide), and I decided to climb the highest mountain in the Kanakus this past weekend. We set out Friday after school and after a short delay tracking down a fourth bicycle we started our ride through the Savannah to the base of the mountains, and the start of the jungle. Royston biked like a madman and I sweat bullets trying to keep up on Jessie Sue's pink bike (mine is busted). We arrived at the base around sundown and made our way to Kumu Falls, our campsite for the night. I immediately bathed in the freezing, yet amazing, water and lay on the still warm rocks around the pool. Royston built us a fire and put an enormous slab of beef on to roast. I also through some veggies in the coals. We slung our hammocks, drank a cup of rum, and fell asleep in the jungle listening to the hum of creatures.

Next morning at sun up we broke camp and headed for the top. Again, Royston set a fast pace and it wasn't long before I was drenched in sweat and breathing like I was in a marathon. Near the top I had to stop every few metres just to catch my breath. Three hours later near the peak we spotted a baboon in the trees, then a few minutes later we broke from the canopy and stared across the Savannah. Incredible, sublime, awesome, epic? They all apply, pick your favourite. We pulled out the remainder of our food and had a little picnic on the top, and Royston made another little fire to cook the last bit of beef. I was so tired from the climb a lay down and woke up nearly an hour later to everyone else sleeping too. On the way down the mountain one of us managed to disturb a swarm of bees and we got chased through the bush by an angry swarm until we found a different route around. We made it to the bottom around 2 and soon set out on our bikes for home.

Jessie's bike got a flat and we ended up walking most of the way. When we did finally get home around dusk I could barely move and promptly fell asleep until next day.

...When I found my legs covered in tics. Fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home